   RE: XLink transformations

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:32:35 -0500

The problem of ID maintenance is usually operational.  For
relational systems, generated IDs are preferred in the role
of the primary key.  Location can always be established by
content value and often, secondary keys are used to establish
relationships.  Madly morphing values together to create
keys resembling OLAP dimensions is an old dodge too.

Identity, location are troublesome to conflate and names aren't
very robust unless inside a context.  Positional linking
is about the weakest kind I can conceive of.  You are
right about links as view dimensions and we took this
up with a formula I can't remember at the Hytime conference
in Vancouver as part of the advanced IETM work.   A view
is usually a temporary thing unless its
contents are persisted into a new thing with a new identity
or its contents are copied as an update or appended.  The
notion of coupling is introduced to enable dependent variations.

I am confused.  A schema cannot declare that a value is a
link or the type of link?  Otherwise, keeping a list of
links to links to enable a rule for transforms would seem
to be trivial if a little expensive (ie, couplings).

Haven't the TechnoTeacher folks taken up the problems of
ID and link maintenance in some detail in their GroveMinder
product?  Steve Newcomb would be the fellow to ask.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram