   RE: XLink transformations

  • From: Ben Trafford <ben@legendary.org>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 00:39:24 -0700

At 06:46 PM 7/19/00 -0700, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
>Of course, linking in general is fragile if major source changes are made.

         Maybe I'm a purist (nah -- I'm definitely a purist), but this is
an unacceptable situation to me. Links are put in documents for a reason,
and authors deserve some sort of protection from stylesheet transformations
that deform their content. I certainly don't want to -limit- the ability
for stylesheet authors to be rid of links, but I think something needs to
be standardized so that implementers think to allow some maintenance of
links to occur. As it is, most folks I talk to haven't even considered this
problem.

--->Ben Trafford