   RE: Recommended Simple XML Tools

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: scottprice@customercentrix.com, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:46:04 -0500

To start the fight, it is difficult to answer the question
about what the best editor is because depending on the
application language (the XML grammar) requirements,
you get a different answer.  For example, regardless
of XML, WYSIWYG editing of

1.  A text document
2.  A 2D graphic
3.  A 3D graphic
4.  Any animation of any or all of the above

can vary dramatically in the requirements for
an effective user interface.   Trying to
combine these requirements into a single
editor for an integrated multimedia presentation
is daunting.  Throw into the mix, a persistence
requirement which means you might have a database
of some kind (another strange attractor) and this
is even more daunting.  Throw into that mix different
abstract object models for the implementation and
reliability can become a low value statistic.

It ain't just 38784 any more.  The hyper + multi
aspects when combined create for a very complicated
set of editing requirements.  For example, if I
just need to do one, I might choose an editor
like SoftQuad's XMetal and that works.  If I have
to do it all, I might need a copy of MS Visual Studio
and a few other third party pieces.

You may have to sort these requirements out for
your customer and spec a customized system depending
on a good editor for each application grammar used.
Note that "best of breed" loos better on paper
than it is in reality.  It can be the single most
expensive purchase and maintenance approach.  XML
does not change that.

And this is where XML consultants make money.

Len Bullard
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h