   Healthcare and Security/Privacy

  • From: KenNorth <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • To: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 14:30:51 -0700

Jonathan,

> If healthcare records are important to preserve on a long term basis, they
> need to be stored in a specified format that will allow this, hence XML.
RDF
> provides the necessary semantic structure on top of the XML data.

It seems like we need a multi-level security model for medical records.
We'll eventually be transmitting an individual's genetic map (DNA) so I
imagine we'll need something like element- and attribute-level security. One
application might be able to view a person's complete medical records, but
another might be denied access to specific gene and chromosome data.

Do you think the current set of W3C specs (RDF, schemas) is adequate for
describing medical records in an environment that enforces attribute-level
security?