   RE: Joel on XML

  • From: "Box, Don" <dbox@develop.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:46:21 -0700

Perhaps that's because there are way more people interested in swapping MP3s
than in administering UserLand stuff. If/when compelling
services/applications are served up via SOAP, then SOAP traffic will be
fairly ubiquitous.

> Moral of the story. Abstraction takes you away from the
> application,

Last time I checked, abstraction allows software developers to build and
integrate applications. The 20 million end users that use napster could care
less about abstraction, but I'm sure that the small handful of developers
that created napster didn't just churn out a bunch of random code but
instead used abstractions.

> which
> is the only place that has juice.

No one said that abstraction was sexy ;-)

Seriously, abstraction and type are as vital as an opposable thumb if you
are a programmer. If you are a non-programmer, they are more akin to a third
eye.

DB
http://www.develop.com/dbox