   RE: XML in .NET - more than just SOAP?

  • From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:38:06 -0700

Yeah, practically everything uses XML in one way or
another now; probably to a much greater degree than
the average person would feel is reasonable.  That
has been the strategic direction of Microsoft for a
very long time.  The first mention I remember where
this strategic direction got "leaked" to the public was
in fall of 97, reported here:
http://www.feedmag.com/html/feedline/98.03pesce/98.03pesce_master.html.

> interoperating with .NET services by exchanging XML
> "document" data rather
> than RPC calls with representations of proprietary objects
> encoded in SOAP,

That is what biztalk does.  The messages coming in from
other systems can be synchronous or asynchronous, and
can use practically any transport you like (MQ-Series,
whatever).  Also they do not necessarily have to be SOAP,
since the mapper allows transforms.

> actual content of Office documents (including spreadsheets,

Not certain.  Office 2000 generates alot of storage
for web-based stuff as XML.  I've done alot just
looking at the XML it creates and playing with it.

> etc.)? What about WebForms; is that an XML technology?

Yes. Tons of other products are now, too..  Funny I
don't know a place that collects all that info together...