   Re: Healthcare and Security/Privacy

  • From: "K. Ari Krupnikov" <ari@iln.net>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:54:42 -0400

"W. E. Perry" wrote:

> Jonathan Borden wrote:
>
> > alternatively, one could wrap the filesystem in a DOM/XPath accessor and let
> > the filesystem code perform the access checks for you. I think it would take
> > less code to wrap the filesystem *BUT* one could always munge Xerces to
> > provide ACL behavior.
> >
> > My gut feeling is that using a filesystem designed for lots of small files
> > will give the proper level of concurrency and access control. Which do y'all
> > think would be the most efficient?
>
> IMHO, this will have to be a DBMS, not simply a filesystem. The underlying data
> store (which for many reasons should be native XML) will require an enclosing
> engine to:

<...>

Add to this transactional integrity, referential intergrity and caching
that most RDBMSs (with the notable exception of MySQL, which in some
ppl's oppinion is an SQL wrapper around a filesystem) provide for free.

--
K. Ari Krupnikov

DBDOM - bridging XML and relational databases
http://www.iter.co.il