   Re: Public Identifiers

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: Joe English <jenglish@flightlab.com>, xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:36:23 -0400

At 07:14 AM 7/25/00 -0700, Joe English wrote:
>Not necessarily.  Heck, even URLs don't need to be resolved
>before they're used; consider namespace URIs and RDF.
>
>[...]
>
>So I end up halfway-tempted to do things the "XML way",
>with namespaces:
>
>    <foo xmlns="http://org.org/well-known.dtd">...</foo>
>
>(a URI that *no* processor will attempt to resolve),
>and then I can't use any SGML or DTD-aware XML tools.

I just put up a piece on xmlhack talking about some of these issues:
http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=675

I think my favorite one is Norman Walsh's request for his own URN namespace
(ndw), and his plans to provide " catalogs (e.g., OASIS Open TR9401
Catalogs) that map the subset of URNs considered useful to resource
identifiers (e.g., URLs)."
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nwalsh-urn-ndw-00.txt)

The OID draft might make such things easier, letting us use Enterprise
Numbers readily assigned by the IANA (I'm 6320), rather than publishing
documents describing our own URN namespace:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-oid-urn-01.txt

Simon St.Laurent