   RE: SOAP serialization

  • From: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:56:27 -0700

To be even more emphatic:  SOAP is about wire protocol, not implementation.
A sender X should be able to send a message to receiver Y and it does not
matter whether receiver Y is implemented by a CGI script or an ASP script or
a COM object class or whatever.  The semantics are in the message.

Various toolkits (such as ROPE) provide programmatic interfaces that
simplify the construction of SOAP messages or processing of them on receipt.
But, these are convenience APIs, not part of the SOAP specification.  The
semantics of the message are unaffected by whether you use such a toolkit or
not.

This is not about proprietary protocols that happen to be serialized in XML.
This is about an extensible protocol true to the spirit of XML.