   Re: Why the Infoset?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: XMLDev list <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:28:01 -0400

At 05:46 PM 7/25/00 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>XML is a serialization of a logical document structure defined by the XML
>Infoset. The Infoset uses the DOM as an API. If an XML document is defined
>by the character stream, the document is also defined by the SAX event
>stream (which may result from parsing the XML document, but also may result
>from another event source).

WARNING: 'XML is a serialization' is only one way to look at it.

XML is a syntax, and the 'logical document structure' is a particular
interpretation of that syntax is another.

I would let either of those get primacy, to be honest.  Lately, I'm tired
of dealing with people who've confused the DOM and SAX APIs with XML,
forgetting that syntax can and does matter.  At the same time, I'm excited
about possibilities like those outlined in the 'UNIX pipes, XML processing'
thread.

Keeping balance is difficult stuff...

Simon St.Laurent