   Re: Public Identifiers

  • From: Imran Rashid <imranr@wolfram.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:51:41 -0500

Paul said:
> If any tool is going to be able to use the public id to access an
> actual resource, there needs to be some way to resolve it such as
> a catalog.
>
> The caveat is that all the tools you use need to have catalog support,
> and many XML processors don't yet.  But, as per my earlier postings [1],
> adding catalog support may not be that difficult (and I hope that more
> XML and XSLT and similar processors add catalog support--maybe xml-dev
> can help push this request).

even if I can get some XML parser to support this, what I would really like
would be a standard way of doing this between different parsers.  Perhaps
this could be something for SAX 3?? (sure its probably a ways off, but no
reason we can't discuss it, right?? and if we get parser to support
something which is SAX 3 -ish, it'll make our ports later that much
easier...)

registering a catalogue should be simple enough, something like:

MyDTDCatalog catalog = new MyDTDCatalog;
reader.setDTDCatalog(catalog);

of course, the real trick is going to be figuring out what the methods, etc.
for "MyDTDCatalog" should be.
but I'd like to open up some discussion on it.

(of course, there should be a similar thing in DOM, but I don't know
anything about DOM...)

Imran