   Re: Why XML? RE: Why the Infoset?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:18:28 -0400

At 11:20 PM 7/29/00 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>Why XML then? What is so special about well-formnedness. I assert that any
>information you can supply in a well-formed document, I can supply in a
>non-well formed document.

Yes, but if I provide it to you as a well-formed document, you can at least
process the characters I send you according to XML syntax.

If I don't, you can't.

(And yes, I've spent too much of the past few days cleaning up syntax in
Word 2000 documents, so I'm painfully aware that syntax can make a huge
difference.)

Simon St.Laurent