   RE: XML in .NET - more than just SOAP? (RANT)

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:31:42 -0500

I spent most of the morning teaching XML to two
reasonably well-trained programmers.  At the end, they
said, "Just show us something simple so we can get
on with our little project."  If they couldn't
"get it" in two hours, what good was it?  The fact
that it took four to six years of university and
some number of years of a job to get them to the
place that OneMoreSliver(A tiny thin wafer of knowledge)
would make them explode keeps them unable to apply what
they do know.

Ring a bell out there?  That AHA moment takes time.
But this is simple XML right?  If it parses, it's
good, right?  If it is well-formed, it is
good, right?  Sure.  SMOP.

<rant>It is really hard to explain XML past
tag pairs to people who have so much stuff
in their heads that there is not room for
the abstractions that underlie the implementations
of XML systems.  Ok, so much for basing our
marketing on myths like the Desperate PERL
Hacker, because the reality is the first
audience is a lot of jaded, self-satisfied,
"we don't need no stinking tags" C++/Java/etc.
programmers.  They have their *little* projects
and not much time to learn anything new, and
they aren't convinced they need to.  HTML is
simple, right?  XML is cool, right?  What is
that infoSet thing and why do I need one?

Well, there is that well-formed thing.... SMOP?

The second problem is the
crappy little document flung to the floor
was only the flavoring and not the substance.
We are so good at buying the simplifying
assumptions we can't get past the "name
is not the thing" issues that make up
the substance, and yet until one understands
the abstractions, the temptation to go
"write some code to do the little simple
thing" overwhelms the certainty of having
to rip that code out six months later,
rearchitect and punch a gaping bleeding
hole in a tight schedule.

This is what the 10,000 'softies are dealing with.

The name is not the thing.  The moon in the water
is not the moon.  One moon, not two.  Tag pairs
aren't objects.  APIs need abstract data sets and
the DTD and the schema don't provide them.  The
DOM needed them first but the cart got ahead of the
horse and yes the code got out of the lab.

We wanted it, right?  We couldn't wait, right?
We were told, "the state of the implementations
is not a consideration in the final form of the
specification" and we agreed to that, right?

Put this conceptual chasm beside the mountain
of legacy code that MUST be supported or there
won't be ANY rice in the bowls NEXT week, and you can
see why the problems of XML Goodness happen.
It is hard.  It really is.  It is hardest of all
for the *to the metal* programmers who have
to code to an unfinished specification or
one they don't have time to read.

Overhyped press releases: if folks want to get
into that topic, let's dig up the old HTML WG
archives and see who was smarter than whom when.
It's a Fugs song whose lyrics should not be
fully quoted here:  "River of S**T, roll 'on".

It is the parser's job to be Draconian.  People
can patch.  (Thanks, Simon, thanks Dave Raggett.)</rant>

Len (out of patience for the moment)

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h