   RE: XML in Office 200X

  • From: Steve Rowe <sarowe@textwise.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:12:44 -0400

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, sam th wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> > Vote with your feet: http://www.openoffice.org
> >
> > [Why do people spend their time bitching about MS rather than
going
> > elsewhere? I dumped my MS desktop 3 years ago and haven't looked
back
> > since]
>
> Or vote with your feet *now*.  AbiWord (http://www.abisource.com)
and
> KWord (www.kde.org) both have XML file formats now.  Both have
published
> DTDs, now (I wrote the AbiWord one).  AbiWord even has an XML schema
> availible.  If you want an XML file format, you can have it *right
now*.

This is all fruity and cool, but Office clones offering up XML in all
its standardness fail to address the problem most of us have with
non-Office docs: if it ain't from M$, it don't fly.  Or, as Joe
Document User might put it, "Hey, man, XML is so *righteous*... but
it's Greek to my Word."

Yes, we can all vote with our feet, now.

No, we can't force those with whom we communicate to do the same.

Steve Rowe
MNIS-TextWise Labs