   RE: Are there still a lot of people using DTD rather than schema?

  • From: Michael Brennan <Michael_Brennan@Allegis.com>
  • To: 'yimin zhu' <yiminz@timberline.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:42:55 -0700

DTD is described by an official recommendation. Schema is not (although it
has moved into the last call phase). Most of the IT world is considerably
more conservative than the folks on the xml-dev list. Most corporate IT
departments don't like to base implementations on draft specs that are
moving targets. Even once schema is approved, some will be slow to adopt
(especially if there is sparse tool support).

Also, keep in mind that many (if not most) users of XML are not even using
DTDs. That's not likely to change any time soon, although middleware tools
such as BizTalk will probably push widespread adoption of schemas (since
they are integral to the functioning of such tools). Ultimately, the market
appeal of such applications will drive the rate of mainstream adoption of
XML Schema.