   Re: XML in Office 200X

  • From: Imran Rashid <imranr@wolfram.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 13:20:57 -0500

> The more we discuss this, the more I feel that OfficeML may (or should) be
> functionally equivalent of RTF, and there could be a 1:1 mapping between
> RTF formatting instructions (or bracket) and XML tag. The advantage of
> OfficeML vs RTF would be syntax: XML is more readable than RTF, and there
> more ways to parse it. You could still implement or support OfficeML
gradually.

I would be thrilled to have RTF in XML syntax.  that would definitely
fulfill all my needs.

>>actually, I don't really think data "islands" are that bad an idea.
>
> Wouldn't you use namespaces to do that?

    in our application, it really only makes sense to have these data
islands in certain places, and (I think) it makes sense to mark them as
such.  namespaces certainly are the logical way to do things, but I'm not
certain yet all our users will have namespace aware processors.

Imran