   Re: Arbitrary Infoset boundaries (was Re: Common XML -FinalReviewDraft)

  • From: Wayne Steele <xmlmaster@hotmail.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 20:20:02 -0700 (PDT)

>"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:
> >
> > At 09:32 AM 8/3/00 +0800, Rick JELLIFFE wrote:
> > >This agrees with XML's premise that it is a resolved document format,
> > >rather than a format for documents in progress.
> >
> > Is that premise formally stated anywhere?

It seems to me much of this comes down to the question of "What are DTDs
for"?

Everyone agrees about Validation.

Everyone agrees that DTDs declare Entities and Notations, and allowance
needs to be made for preserving this information. Likewise for attributes of
type ID.

Is that it?

The infoset takes the view that once you have validated the document, and
you get your entities & notations, you have no further need for the DTD.
It's about as useful as storing the HTTP headers you got when you slurped
the document off the web. You can have it, if you want, but it's outside
their scope.

Simon (and myself, and others) dissents from this view.

I think I've summed up most of this Infoset debate right here. DTDs: In, or
Out?

Weirdly, PIs and Comments in the DTD are in the Infoset.
But the 90% job of the DTD, declaration of elements and their content
models, is left out.

I think it should be put back.

-Wayne Steele