   Douglas Lenat - Key note at Extreme

  • From: "B. Tommie Usdin" <btusdin@mulberrytech.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:08:42 -0400

Douglas Lenat, who is the invited Keynote Speaker at Extreme Markup
Languages is very well known (although I gather not universally liked) in
the Artificial Intelligence community, but largely unknown in the markup
crowd.

I was delighted to find a wonderful chapter-long biography of him in a
recent airplane read: "Out of Their Minds; The Lives and Discoveries of 15
Great Computer Scientists" by Dennis Shasha and Cathy Lazere, Copernicus
(Springer-Verlag, 1998).

If you haven't heard of this Lenat you might enjoy the book, and the talk.
He's  persistent, tenatious, self confident, and out to change the world.
Not all that different from some of the advocates of generalized markup I
could name.  Lenat's focus is Articificial Intelligence, but he is an
inspiration to all of us who believe that we have better ideas.

-- Tommie

Extreme Markup Languages 2000          mailto:extreme@mulberrytech.com
August 13-18, 2000                           details: http:www.gca.org
Montreal, Canada                      or: http://www.extrememarkup.net