   Re: Why the Infoset?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: "xml-dev@xml.org" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 17:05:41 -0400

At 04:58 PM 8/3/00 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:
>
>> Either define abstractions for XML or don't
>
>The Infoset *does* define abstractions for XML.  It doesn't define
>every possible abstraction for XML.

More to the point, it doesn't define abstractions for all of XML, leaving
them as 'fix in documentation' for those who need more than the Infoset
currently provides. As the Infoset itself is basically documentation, this
doesn't seem reasonable.

'Every possible abstraction' for XML is more possibilities than I think
either of us care to think about.

Simon St.Laurent