   Re: W3C, responsibility (Re: Why the Infoset?)

  • From: Dan Vint <dvint@slip.net>
  • To: ricko@geotempo.com (Rick JELLIFFE)
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 07:44:42 -0700 (PDT)

> "Winchel 'Todd' Vincent, III" wrote:
>
> > Some of the W3C's big lies (bad behavior) follow:
> >
> > 1. XML is backwards compatible with SGML
> >
> > DTDs are no longer supported by the W3C, in favor of XML-Schemas.
> > XML-Schemas are not backwards compatible with SGML.  So, as a practial
> > matter, the statement "XML is compatible with SGML" really isn't true,
> > although this was the W3C promise in 1998 and much of 1999.
>
> Incorrect. SGML allows documents with no DTDs.  See ISO 8879 Annex K.

Yeah it may have been retrofitted back into the SGML spec, but which vendors
have implemented any of this or the technical corrigendum that also fixed
or enhanced many things in SGML? From my world if it isn't widly implemented
and consistent in the variety of tools that I have to use, then it doesn't
exist.

..dan