   RE: XML-RPC or SOAP

  • From: Michael Rossi <mrossi@crusher.jcals.csc.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:50:56 -0400

Betty L. Harvey wrote:

> I am very much interested in this topic.  I am working on several
> projects that are have to make a commitment to a specific
> protocol soon.
>
> Do you know of any pointers where the benefits of each are
> discussed?

	These and many other "XML Protocols" are routinely discussed on the
W3C's xml-dist-app mailing list, archived at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app. In pursuit of defining the
goals of a formal working group to establish a standard in this area, Eric
Prud'hommeaux of the W3C has also developed a matrix comparing various
protocols, available at: http://www.w3.org/2000/03/29-XML-protocol-matrix.

> Also, is anyone thinking about tpaML or ebXML transport protocols?

	I don't think the ebXML transport protocol is far enough along just
yet, although I confess that I seriously need to get up to date on that
initiative. My understanding of tpaML is that it's not a protocol, more like
metadata that enhances the underlying protocol. Please correct me if I'm
(very possibly) wrong.

Michael A. Rossi
Computer Sciences Corporation
mailto:mrossi@csc.com