   Re: XML-RPC or SOAP

  • From: mark hu <mark@fintrack.com>
  • To: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>, "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>,xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 16:12:11 -0400

I agree with Dave - first of all, I do think the project size could do
affects about the decision you ganna make - e.g. developeing COM object in
VB or VC++ for a guy who's efficient on both means the same ease thing, but
in the real world maybe u need to make up you mind and maybe the business
you are working with prefer one than another besides the performance
issues - and back to SOAP and XML-RPC, my little point of view is that SOAP
is trying to simplify the XML world and come up a more light weight
protocol, and surely it'll take some time to finalize everything. About the
interoperability, SOAP is compatible with simplified XML types, and still
support XML, so I can not see anything wrong about SOAP interoperability
with XML and anything else, by saying Rope - are u talking about the Proxy
Engine or the real one ? Even the Proxy Engine, you have your own option -
not using MS COM based ROPE and build up your own - JAVA/CORBA based, or
whatever u like to, and back to the staring point of SOAP - it's designed to
simplify cross Platform Object Reference and Invokes, make the data exchange
world simple and clean, correct me if I am wrong - again, I think SOAP is
just a messaging protocol, use it or not and how to use it depends on us,
right ??

Mark
"Make Your Life More Enjoyable"