   Re: Whither the Infoset

  • From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 18:14:10 -0400

This is called marshalling. Attributes are another term for metadata. The
very first use of
"XML Metadata Object Persistence" XMOP
(http://www.openhealth.org/xmop/XMOP.htm) was to do this for VB COM objects
(it was otherwise hard to marshal VB COM objects by value) For a look at the
open source code at: http://www.openhealth.org/xmop/xmop.zip the COM
implementation was first done under IE4 (gasp!) XML which dates this to
circa 1998.

I haven't seen more than a scrap of C# so I don't yet have an opinion of the
language, all I can say is that this XML integration, if it really exists,
is no better, nor worse, than that for Java or C++.

To be honest, if an open source version of a C# XML parser, DOM and XSLT
processor were available, open source because I won't go back to dealing
with implementations I can't fix myself if I have to (and I frequently have
had to), if such an implementation were available, and it were to be both
more understandable *and* faster than what is currently available for C,C++
and Java, then I might start getting interested in C#. Maybe MS can also
provide an IL compiler for XSLT, like Sun's for the Java VM. Yeah that would
get my interest.

Of course if I were to mention that it is easy to send XSLT over the wire as
well, this wouldn't be worthy of a news item. The reason I haven't had the
need to much further develop XMOP myself is that I've lost interest in
marshalling objects written in X language (been there, done that) and gained
interest in sending data itself as XML.

Yeah Len, its friday and a chilled one is waiting, cheers :-))