   Re: Does DTD validation work with namespaces?

  • From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:53:18 -0400

/ Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net> was heard to say:
| Let me clarify. The problem with using a prefix:name in a standalone DTD is
| that nowhere within the DTD file is the prefix<->namespace mapping defined
| (i.e. akin to the "Prefix Defined" constraint). In an internal subset, the
| prefix, though used within the DTD, is defined within the document content
| (not necessarily just the root element).

Right, sorry. I misinterpreted your message. Basically, you're using
the PE trick to change prefixes on the fly.  Yes, that works, but it
still limits you to a single prefix. I remain tempted to implement
<?declare-namespace prefix="foo" uri="bar"?> in the DTD and
dynamically map the prefixes during validation.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | More men become good through practice than
XML Technology Center     | through nature.--Democritus of Abdera