   XML: the academic literature

  • From: Robin Cover <robin@isogen.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:00:36 -0500 (CDT)

Recently I have taken opportunity to catch up on a survey of
the scholarly/academic literature on XML as published in
conference proceedings volumes and internal technical reports.

References to some (some!) of this literature are provided in
the the "articles" section of the 'XML Cover Pages':

http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xmlArticles.html

Trying to "catch up" is pretty hopeless, given the vast
amount of new material.  The survey creates an impression,
once again, that the several research and development
communities thinking about XML (markup) tend to live
in relative isolation from each other.  It's partly
self-defense: given knowledge specialization and
information glut, one can read "just so much."

But: conscious commitment to a principled habit of "reading
outside my area of specialization, outside the ghetto
of my own comfortable development community" would seem
to be a Good Thing.

Best wishes to all,

Robin Cover

PS  Authors who do not find their published work referenced
in my bibliography collections are encouraged to send a
note with the relevant metadata/URL/fullText.  Mail
to robin@isogen.com