   ANN: fragserver v0.001

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 07:30:45 +0800

Paul Grosso wrote:

> At 10:05 2000 08 11 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> >Did anyone ever do anything with XML Fragment Interchange:
> >http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xml-fragment

> Both W3C members and the user community at large are welcome to express
> their opinion on the importance (or lack thereof) of this spec.  To date,
> there has been several opportunities to do so, but no outpouring of
> interest by either the developer or use community, so it appears that
> the W3C Team's reading of the interest level is not inaccurate.

Does that make this the first announcement of supporting software then?

Fragserver is a Java Web Application designed for running on Apache
(Tomcat,
Xalan, Xerces).  It gives two servlets:

  fragbody  retrieves a branch of an XML document, as specified using an
Xpath
  fragserver constructs a small Fragment Context Specification for the
     same document and Xpath

For example, if I have the XML document http://www.example.com/a/b.xml
and I want the fragment  //c  (i.e, the first c element found and its
contents), then I can fetch the fragment body with
  http://www.example.com/fragserver/servlet/fragbody/a/b/xml?xpath=//c
and the fcs with
  http://www.example.com/fragserver/servlet/fragserver/a/b/xml?xpath=//c

Download from
   http://gate.sinica.edu.tw/~ricko/src/fragserver.war
This is a .war file: you can use jar to unbundle it. Source code and
installation
instructions provided.

I probably do not have time to maintain this, it is better to get it
out:
anyone who wants to take it off my hands is more than welcome to do so.

People could use it, for example, to build a download-on-demand DOM
system (lazy fetching over the WWW!)  The fragbody servlet could easily
be converted into
an XPointer server, too.

Rick Jelliffe