   Re: updategrams

  • From: james anderson <james.anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:48:19 +0200

I would have thought that one can do it by treating modifiables as
generational: one (transient) property is dynamic and changed upon
modification. The modifiables must be reified: each becomes an
identified object if it is not so already. The granularity is limited by
the amount of space which you are willing to devote.

We ended up using a generation id in addition to any object identity
which may have already been present and preventing mods if the
identified entity had changed. Web-DAV-like. Another option would be to
use the generation as part of the path, in which case an update failure
would be 'cause the generation was no longer "there" to modify.
It's sort of like multi-processed garbage collection with a fault on the
presence of a forwarding pointer.

? How about the other issue: do updategrams scale?
What do they propose for moby instances - those which go beyond single
relations, beyond tractable joins? I'm not worried about adding an entry
to an order invoice but rather something more like modifying a patient
medical history.