   RE: XML Set-up

  • From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • To: 'Katharine Wykes' <Katharine.Wykes@precedent.co.uk>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 02:13:52 -0700

The IE5 parser was shipped before XSLT was finalized, and I assume that you
are wanting to use XSLT.  There is some info at http://www.netcrucible.com
and pointers there to some relevant Microsoft links with compliance
information.  Microsoft has people active on most of the XML W3C committees,
and we (like Oracle, IBM, and others) are 100% committed to shipping
compliant XML tools.  The latest release of MSXML passes the Oasis
Conformance suite, so it is say 97-99% compliant.

In any case, it probably would be difficult at this point to say that one
processor is more "pure" or conformant than another (all the vendors have
done a remarkable job of sticking to spec and I trust that we will all keep
each other honest in the future), so I'd recommend that you use other
criteria to make your decision.  If you want to make sure that your XSLT can
port to any processor, check out the tool at the netcrucible link above.  It
currently supports 5 or 6 major processors and will be adding sablotron
support soon.

Beyond the tips to keep your XSLT portable and check the latest conformance
information for any processors you look at, it would be risking a religious
war to recommend one platform over another.  People are running dynamic,
XML-based web sites based on every major platform today.  Better to talk
about the wonders of XML that allow all these platforms to work together
than try to agree upon which platform is "right" :-)  Since you mentioned
NT, you might wish to view http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml, which has plenty
of information about using XML for dynamic website creation.

Cheers,
Joshua