   RE: Empty nodes and xsl:for-each select

  • From: Mike Brown <mbrown@corp.webb.net>
  • To: 'Newsha Makooi' <Newsha@imrgold.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:33:20 -0600

Newsha Makooi wrote:
> I am writing in regards to the output table on page 523
> of Michael Kay's XSLT, Programmer's Reference.

Your questions should be asked on the xsl-list.
See http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/index.html

<xsl:for-each select="Team/Score" order-by="+ Name">

This indicates that you are not using an XSLT processor; you are probably
using the old version of MSXML and are writing Dec 1998 Working Draft-era
"XSL". See http://www.netcrucible.com/xslt/msxml-faq.htm because all bets
are off until you upgrade.

In XSLT, even if <Score/> elements are empty, selection of them will still
succeed; the node-set identified in the select attribute of <xsl:for-each
select="Team/Score"> will contain those empty element nodes. You can iterate
through them and create empty table cells as you would expect.

If you must use the old MSXML and the old XSL syntax, go straight to the
microsoft.public.xml newsgroup for support. http://msdnnews.microsoft.com/
offers a browser-based newsreader if you need it. Good luck.