   Re: Debug Support in XSL (WAS RE: XML Extensibility / XML Schemas)

  • From: Dan Vint <dvint@slip.net>
  • To: clbullar@ingr.com ("Bullard, Claude L (Len)")
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:37:21 -0700 (PDT)

Excelon's Stylus has some capabilities. You are shown 3 windows of infor-
mation. One shows a tree diagam of the input document and it displays a check
makr on the elements that have templates directly defined for them. Another
window shows the output. As you move the cursor in this window different blocks
of text are highlighted to indicate what portions were generated with the same
template, this is then tied to the final window that displays the template that
fired or you are editing.

The last feature is a trace window that shows you what templates fired and in what order. This helps with detecting when a defalut template handled something
that you thought was handled by a more specifc template.

The only problem with this tool is that thier XSLT implementation is incomplete
and they also don't provide a command line version of that processor so you
could implement it and any pecularities into an application. I have requested
that they make it possible to integrate other processors.

..dan