   Re: Debug Support in XSL (WAS RE: XML Extensibility / XML Schemas)

  • From: tpassin@home.com
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:51:17 -0400

G. Ken Holman wrote -

> .... which is the rub!  There will *always* be the need to work with the
> declarative language, and any such tool that "hides" the declarative
> language *must* be able to accommodate it or accommodate the users who
> themselves need to work with the declarative language in concert with the
> application.

For another sense of this, you could think of more-or-less graphical
assistants that generate SQL queries.  They can be pretty good and easy to
use for simple queries.  One example is the builder that's used in
Powerbuilder.  But when you want to do something complicated, or that was
not planned for, you have to go to text mode and write it yourself.  And
there's always something that wasn't plannned for... I wouldn't want to have
to use a query builder that didn't allow me to write text for a query.

I imagine it will always be that way for xslt, too.  Help with basic things,
with the ability to override when you need to.

Tom Passin