   RE: XML and LDAP: Common APIs?

  • From: johns@syscore.com (John F. Schlesinger)
  • To: 'KenNorth' <KenNorth@email.msn.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:24:56 -0400

Ken wrote:
"How do you know whether a query should match a binary '101' or a decimal
'101' if you don't use data types?"

I don't think I need to know that to formulate a query. The system that does
the matching will have to cast both the things being matched and my match
string to some common form, but that's a different problem. In many cases
everything is cast to a string - then my "101" matches ether a decimal "101"
or a binary "101". If I meant a decimal "101" and it matched to a binary
"101" by mistake, then I was querying the wrong field.

Yours,
John F Schlesinger
SysCore Solutions
212 619 5200 x 219