   Namespace and Versioning

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 09:44:05 -0500

I need a bit of advice.  It is suggested in a document
that I am reading that the namespace be used for versioning.
If in SOAP, for example, "the <envelope> element has a different
amespace, you have to discard the message with a version
error.  As SOAP evolves, you'll probably be able to
use different namespaces to indicate certain levels of
specification conformance or message dialects." - VBPJ August 2000.

Is this the understanding others have of the use of
namespaces for versioning?  I ask because a local
is requesting a version attribute and I can't think
of why not other than the namespace is then a
continuum of definitions instead of a single, say, schema.

How would you respond to that given the local is not
deeply washed in things XML much less namespaces but
can program to the metal?  Forgive me if this starts
the "namespaces are evil" threads again, but some
succinct, "intended to work like this" answers will
be welcome.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com