   RE: UDDI, uddi.org and an open source project at SourceForge

  • From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 15:59:41 -0400

> It is good that the participants have decided to
> cooperate but nothing about this other than that
> is news.  Registry-based description systems for
> services have been recognized as the way to do
> distributed operations cross-company since
> DICE (DARPA Initiative In Concurrent Engineering, K.I.
> Singh, et al) initiative.
> Interestingly, the Trust model was emphasized then too.

UDDI is just a registry, and is hence limited in it's
effectiveness by the entries in it... which ultimately
boils down to a degree of trust, because no organization
has control over the registry (yet).

Like domain names, there will probably be fierce competition
over entries in the global repository, and there will be
QOS issues.