   RE: On edge-labelled graphs in XML

  • From: Michael Rys <mrys@microsoft.com>
  • To: 'Wayne Steele' <xmlmaster@hotmail.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 13:10:30 -0700

The main reason is that not everything is a tree. Information has the
tendency to organize itself in graphs of basically entities (nodes) and
their relationships (edges). Edge-labelled models assume that nodes have a
logical identity and that the name is part of their relationship. There may
be different kinds of relationship (i.e., containment, reference,
attributes, 1-1, 1-n, m-n etc.).

The above is especially true if you talk about information items that are
arranged into different views. Even if the views are tree-views (like XML),
the overall structure of the information (the union of all views) is still a
graph. E.g., data that describes me may have data about my mother as the
parent in the tree (relationship child) in one view, and my bosses data as
parent in another. If you want to express these relationships in
hierarchies, you can for each view, but the overall information organization
is a graph.

Best regards
Michael

PS: I left out that I favor the edge-based abstraction for the query
datamodel of course in my message cited below...