   RE: UDDI, uddi.org and an open source project at SourceForge

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 15:42:20 -0500

Trust is a learned behavior where you
say "nice doggie" until you find a
rock. Who do ya love?

Then there is that Taste thing.  Any
system that flattens out based on standards
is eventually in the same position as
classical music.  To quote a pamplet on the
subject, "Lincoln freed the slaves but
Jazz freed the musicians."

The UDDI communities and models are just
another way to automate Keiretsu yellow
pages ++.  The ++ is in the rules of
engagement and the tModel.

Invoking the topic behavioral reinforcement
we discussed earlier this year, the usual
models of tit for tat trading rules apply
which is why the phrase (may have originated
at PARC) "The rule of rationality is weak
for organizing human behavior" is quoted.
Who do ya love?

We get Operator Sites, tModels
that assume a URL pointing or citing a
specification is a binding contract, etc.
The medallion of trust is the URL, but
really, who do ya love?

Again, style counts.  This system can produce
what the jazz musicians call "sweet bands"
and it isn't a complement (think Kay Kyzer
fronting Lawrence Welk).  Becoming
Le Jazz Hot requires more than adhering to a
public specification.   On the other hand,
some bodies of work (see previous citations)
are too hard to understand and so languish
until a future emerges needy and ready to
implement.   The trick is to cross the chasm.
A lot of good trumpet players starved until
Louis passed his apprenticeship.

The T-Model owner got one choice of color.
The Caddy owner got Chrome.  Style!!  Who
do ya love?

... and a generic version attribute. :-)

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram