   Re: Inserting optional elements

  • From: Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>
  • To: Matthew Gertner <matthew@praxisxml.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:48:40 +0200

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 05:18:38PM +0200, Matthew Gertner wrote:
> Paul,
>
> This is an good point. XPath is not sufficient to specify the location of a
> new element unambiguously. This is obvious from the following example:
>
> <element name="foo">
> 	<complexType>
> 		<element ref="bar" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> 		<element ref="baz"/>
> 		<element ref="bar" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> 	</complexType>
> </element>
>
> Suppose I have the following document:
>
> <foo>
> 	<bar/>
> 	<bar/>
> 	<baz/>
> 	<bar/>
> </foo>
>
> If I want to add an element with the XPath "foo/bar[3]", then I have no way
> of knowing whether this will result is bar,bar,bar,baz,bar or
> bar,bar,baz,bar,bar. This is only one of several problems with XPath. We're
> thinking about extending the standard to solve these problems, so I'd be
> most interested to know if any other individuals, companies or organizations
> are working on this and want to collaborate. I haven't checked whether the
> W3C is working on this yet (but I will).

  I think you are looking for the definition of a point (which could
act as an insertion point in this case). this is part of XPointer

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr#N2094

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW