   RE: XML Schemas: Best Practices

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:49:57 -0500

I very much appreciate this thread, Roger.
Useful to all of us. Some thoughts:

One can always flatten out the namespace
by dynamically creating a schema.  Here are
some speculations about where and when
one might want to know the namespace:

1 A namespace on the element indicates a
a variant or version of the element.  For
example, when managing vocabularies where
the application language is aggregate but
uses separately developed sub-schemas .

2.  A namespace on the element is used
to infer the handler.   This is probably
a weak reason unless one is also in effect but
extensibility by components is how server-side
systems work.

Server.CreateObject("myVersionHandler")

3. The schema is going to be a dynamic
object in the authoring process, that is,
multiple authors working in each language
create a work that must be schema-validatible
but the process itself requires traceability.
The schema is created just prior to sending
the document.  I might want this to help with
number two so I can figure out the packages
to be delivered with the work or that must
be available, ie, part of the dllHell solution
particularly in distributed development teams.

4.  An extension of traceability but a separate
issue is authority.  For example, a language
may be aggregatible but the instance is proprietary.
Consider a solution where copyright ownership is
associated to a namespace identifier.   That is,
the owner of the namespace as signified by the
URI is also the owner of the copyright and asserts
this using the URI.  As with 3, the authors may
want to maintain separate ownership when contributing
to a jointly developed complex work.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com