   Re: King of Stupid XML Articles?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:47:17 -0400

At 09:48 AM 9/25/00 -0700, Lisa Rein wrote:
>This one has my vote:
>
>http://www.business2.com/content/magazine/breakthrough/2000/09/15/18549
>
>it's from this months Business 2.0.  And it's written by a professor of
>new media at hunter college in NY.  Which shows that even professors
>sometimes don't do their homework.  I guess this guy thought he was so
>smart, he didn't need to be bothered with the facts.

While this article is certainly pouring water on the hype, I'm not clear
where you think Clay Shirky's lost track of the facts.

I really like hearing that:
>XML does not mean less pain. It does not remove the
>pain of having to describe your data; it simply front-loads the pain where
>it’s easier to see and deal with.

And also that:
>Interoperability isn’t an engineering issue, it’s a
>business issue.

I'd appreciate hearing which facts you think he got wrong.  I don't think
he sees XML as a magic bullet, and as much as I love XML, I think he's
right on that count.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML