   RSS 1.0 and RDF

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:18:41 -0400 (EDT)

Dave Winer writes:

 > I also want to be clear, that as one of the authors of RSS 0.91, I do not
 > endorse the turn to RDF.

It's an interesting choice, though.  RDF has been up and down over the
past couple of years, but the use of RDF does make it much easier to
represent complex information in RSS, even if it is slightly harder to
represent simple information.

RDF seems to be gaining some momentum, but it's starting more like a
very long freight-train, taking up the slack in one car after another,
than like the rocket that XML itself was.  For another RDF-based news
syndication format (and one that overlaps a bit with RSS), see

  http://www.idealliance.org/prism/

For yet another (more RSS 0.91-like), see

  http://www.xmlnews.org/docs/xmlnews-meta.html

It will be interesting to see if RDF can live up to its promise and
allow tools to provide higher interoperability among these specs than
the low-level, elements-and-attributes-and-data view we get with
general XML tools.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/