   RE: Binary XML

  • From: Michael Brennan <Michael_Brennan@Allegis.com>
  • To: "'Arnold, Curt'" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:46:35 -0700

> From: Arnold, Curt [mailto:Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com]
> [...]
> Basically, my idea when I proposed it was that in the event
> that a binary stream was not recognized as any supported
> encoding family, then the application should have a chance to
> see if it recognizes
> it as a compressed or encrypted stream and would be able to
> wrap the input stream from URL resolution with a
> decompression/decryption wrapper before trying encoding
> detection again.

If this input stream is resolved from a URL, wouldn't it be better to handle
this at the transport layer rather than in the parser? One should be able to
determine the compression used from the "Content-Encoding" header. Or is the
intent to be very forgiving of instances where the headers do not adequately
convey the correct information?