   RE: Binary XML

  • From: Aleksi Niemelä <aleksi.niemela@cinnober.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@xml.org'" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 18:07:01 +0200

Dylan wrote:
> compressed binary format for XML. Does anyone know whether it uses
> compression on the element text, or just on tag names etc.?

I'm no guru you're asking for but what I can comprehend from
http://www1.wapforum.org/tech/documents/WAP-192-WBXML-20000306-a.pdf
seems to indicate there's quite little support for string compression.

One can have reference to a string. That's useful as if your document is
full of long repeating strings. References to those strings you're able to
squeeze down to five bytes.

In practice I wouldn't expect much compression from this, as you can't save
any bytes by compressing short often repeating words like 'and', 'or' or
even "can't". And the spec doesn't seem to give any room to reproduce
strings in reference table from other strings.

All this is just a guess based on ten minute skimming through the spec, so
treat it like that.

	- Aleksi