   Re: Empty Complex Type; Mixed Content Type

  • From: Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>
  • To: ramesh@eNode.com, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 19:43:11 +0100

I believe that this is an error and have mailed the editor of the primer
suggesting the following modification

<xsd:element name="internationalPrice">
 <xsd:complexType>
  <xsd:complexContent>
   <xsd:restriction>
     <xsd:sequence/>
   </xsd:restriction>
  </xsd:complexContent>
 </xsd:complexType>
</xsd:element>

Which provides an empty element with no attributes. Because of the use of an
anonymous type adding attributes is in fact impossible in this case, a named
type should probably be used instead.

I don't *think* extension would actually be allowed as I believe it is
impossible to extend the urType ( anyType ). However, I am checking this and
will confirm later.

With respect to mixed content the 'mixed' attribute was chosen over a
mixedContent element to allow construction of types like the following

<complexType name='paragraph' mixed='true'>
  <choice minOccurs='0' maxOccurs='1' >
    <element name='b' type='string' />
    <element name='i' type='string' />
  </choice>
</complexType>

We didn't want people who just wanted to restrict the urType ( anyType ) to
have to go to the full blown content model for complexType just to get mixed
content.

Hope this helps,

Martin Gudgin