   Re: Who will maintain SAX?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 15:50:06 -0400

At 12:11 PM 10/2/00 -0700, KenNorth wrote:
>What about The Open Group? It's been in the business of promoting
>vendor-neutral, open standards for a long time. (It was formed by the merger
>of X/Open and OSF.)
>
>It promotes standards that are not tied to a specific platform or operating
>system:
>
>"The Open Group's mission is to offer all organizations concerned with open
>information infrastructures a forum where they can share knowledge,
>integrate open initiatives, and certify approved products and processes in a
>manner in which they continue to trust our impartiality. More information on
>our organization can be found at http://www.opengroup.org

I'd like to suggest that wherever SAX lands, it goes to some place which
has open participation, not merely vendor-neutrality.

That $5000 fee for joining the W3C is still a pretty powerful irritant, and
The Open Group appears to start around $1500, with a $250 conference
meeting fee.

I'd hate to lose a successful spec developed under open participation to
some organization that closes out smaller development organizations and
individuals with fee structures designed for larger companies.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML