   The failure to communicate XML - and its costs to e-business

  • From: AndrewWatt2000@aol.com
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 07:46:11 -0400 (EDT)

I have titled this essay "The failure to communicate XML" but could equally
accurately have called it "The great XML confidence trick".

I am not saying that to provoke but to emphasise the seriousness of the
misinformation and misunderstanding about the XML family of technologies
which I believe exists and needs to be corrected. Confusion and lack of
clarity exist at many levels, of which I mention only a few. There is a
substantive problem there which needs to be fixed.

The multiple existing failures to communicate and comprehend XML technologies
lead to unnecessary inefficiencies in the e-business setting. If e-business
is to be measured in the near future in trillions of dollars can it be
claimed that misunderstanding and misapplication of XML technologies is
without major and increasing cost to e-businesses?

XML (Extensible Markup Language), so it has been claimed, is a "subset" of
SGML (the Standard Generalized Markup Language). SGML, for better or worse,
is notorious for its complexity and lack of accessibility. XML did, at least
initially, remove some of the complexities of SGML but to promote XML as a
"simple format" is profoundly misleading.

If XML ever was "simple", can it seriously be suggested that that remains
true after the addition of SMIL, XSLT, XPath, RDF and XHTML and the soon
emergence of SVG, XPointer, SMIL 2.0, SMIL Animation, CC/PP, Canonical XML,
XML Digital Signatures etc?

XML is not, for the vast majority of humankind, a "simple" format although it
may be for some. Yet, even if the simplicity of format of XML were conceded
that in no way means that there is simplicity or efficiency in usage.

Computing is founded on the simplest of numerical formats ... zeroes and ones
... but who would claim that using that ultimately simple numerical format
has led to computers which are simple, efficient or reliable?

XML, so it has been claimed, is the "next generation HTML". Yet more
misinformation or misunderstanding. It would be fairly accurate to claim that
XML is the "next generation SGML" but that is a far less cosy image given the
unfamiliarity and notorious complexity of SGML, as perceived by many Web
developers. Much more convenient to put forward what is, at best, a half
truth but one which has media impact and an appearance of familiarity.

XML, like SGML, has no pre-defined vocabulary. Each is a "language without
words" ... or a "meta-language". It would have been a significant improvement
if SGML and XML had been explicitly identified as meta-languages. Potential
students would have immediately recognised that such meta-languages raise
issues not found in everyday communication. Perhaps the Extensible Markup
MetaLanguage, XMML, although a more accurate term was thought not to have the
same instant appeal.

The problems of terminology and comprehension go deeper.

For example, the notion of a "root" (with or without some qualifying term)
appears in many XML-related Recommendations or drafts. Yet there is
significant inconsistency in the usage of terms between XML technologies
which inevitably leads to wasted development time and consequent (avoidable)
costs to e-businesses.

But other issues also arise. Not least is the sheer volume of material which
needs to be mastered.

XML on its own does, essentially, nothing. Let's add the approximately 90
pages of the XSLT Recommendation to express our XML as HTML or XHTML. Then we
can add the 500 pages of the XSL-FO draft if we want the potential advantages
of Web and paper output from the same source data. And if we want to
illustrate our pages with Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) images we can add
another 492 pages of reading. But, let's not forget that SVG has dependencies
on Cascading StyleSheets, CSS, has a variant Document Object Model, and is
dependent on the SMIL Animation drafts for animation, which in turn has
dependencies on the SMIL 1.0 Recommendation and the SMIL 2.0 Working Draft.

Now, just who was it that claimed that XML was "simple"?

The failure to communicate XML technologies as they actually are is impeding
the W3C's declared objective of leading the Web to its full potential.

There is a need for misunderstandings of XML technologies to be dispelled.
XML is not, was not nor ever shall be "simple". XML is not the "next
generation HTML".

I firmly believe that XML technologies do have a potentially major role in
e-business. It is time to move on from a stage of partisan enthusiasm to a
mature, objective evaluation of the complexities and potential of XML
technologies. XML technologies have, I believe, the strengths to withstand
such scrutiny.

It is sometimes suggested that W3C documents target only implementors. When,
as XML technologies are increasingly adopted by e-businesses, the health or
survival of a business depends on efficiency online ... a survival which may
depend on savvy usage of XML technologies ... a wider, wiser more
business-orientated approach is needed.

Communication, at all levels, needs to be improved. For example:

1. Improve the expression of concepts in W3C documents. Take steps to improve
accessibility for those not in the current elite.
2. Improve the integration between W3C activities
3. Move forward from hype about XML technologies to realistic appraisal of
strengths and weaknesses
4. Initiate remedial action to improve communication of past W3C documents

I am aware that W3C has begun to take steps in at least some of these
directions. The issues are too important for tentative, partially funded
initiatives, to suffice.

XML technologies are too important to be allowed to be confined to an elite
ghetto, as happened to SGML. Let's all work together to understand,
communicate and apply the enormous potential of XML technologies and assist
the W3C to lead the Web to its full potential.

Andrew Watt