   RE: The failure to communicate XML - and its costs to e-business

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Steve Boyce <SteveB@hbs.com>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 10:49:33 -0500

Precisely.  I came from the markup background
and then did relational databases.  I needed
the infoSet to connect the two successfully.
Suddenly, all the things Steve Newcomb and
Neill Kipp were telling me made sense.  Without
a clear definition for abstract types, the
node abstraction just didn't sink in.  Once
it did, I realized I could write markup in
tables without ever having to put a single
pointy bracket in a field except the one
that handled the schema mapping on output.

The handling could be... urmm... abstract.

For relational programmers, show them a
table definition of a DTD based on the infoSet types
and a query that gets a recordset and
maps it to some XML in which the elements
and attributes are NOT column and row names.
Then show them they can use XSLT and skip
all of that.  Bang!  They get it and can
start focusing on business layer rules while
you or someone else starts to designing
the workflow layer for the sexy looking
presentation layer your graphics person
built.

Every now and then this gets pointed out:
some of us taught ourselves computer science
after years of training for some other
profession, in my case, English and music.
Dvorak is probably in that camp.  Yet we
are still required to sort out the issues
and condense them for presentation because
the Dvorak's set traps on purpose or out
of misunderstanding.  That is why the
Dumb articles get listed.  As we make
our noises here, we condense explanations.
Those who silently lurk get a good condensation
eventually, and if they use it responsibly,
it does a good thing; it dampens uncontrolled
feedback, and that is how noise becomes signal.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h