   RE: Less Stupid XML

  • From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • To: "'Bullard, Claude L (Len)'" <clbullar@ingr.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 13:40:55 -0700

Maybe two others:

* Well-defined and limited scope.

* Simplicity -- I repeat smplicity because I do not think it has to be all
that subjective.  Things like XML exist for developers to use.  Developers
are scarce and expensive, good developers are especially scarce because the
cognitive skills necessary are in cramped space at the right side of the
bell curve.  Everything that we can do to slide the bar just a tiny bit to
the left, and thus make the tools productive in the hands of more of the
bell curve, increases the pool of developers available to bless the world
with that technology's capabilities.  In other words, if you make a
technology simpler, you more than linearly increase the amount of people
thatr can harness it.  Simplicity is the purest form of humanism.  Now, how
do you measure simplicty?  Simple!  If you want to know if alot of people
can quickly become productive with your tool, do some usability testing!  If
only people with the IQ of people on this list to use the tool effectively,
it's too complicated.  I mean, these things are meant to be used by real
people, right?  I think some of these activities would do well to first
define exactly who their target demographic is, figure out how to usability
test against that demographic, and ruthlessly focus on that demographic --
and not the priests and clergy interested enough to download and play with
the specs.

(well, something like that :-))