   Re: More Stupid XML Articles

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 18:03:09 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Dmitri Pavlenkov <dmitripavlenkov@yahoo.com>

> Nobody knows what to do about this. Death
> of simplicity.
> </q>
>
> Please, tell me what do you mean saying  "I know
> what to do about this" ?
>
> What exactly do you know ?

> Therefore, I know what to do when some other company's
> XML standard becomes wide-spread instead of mine. I'll
> just write XSLT :^)

Nice. I'm skipping the rest of your letter because it is
irrelevant. So your answer is  "I'll write XSLT stylesheet".

Have you done that in the real life ?
I have done that. That's why I'm asking.

And by the way - what is 'your company  XML standard' ?

If you have nothing developed, you are for sure not affected
by those things described by Dvorak.

Rgds.Paul.

> When you say it is a death of simplicity, I say it is a death of
> complexity that is involved when trying to bridge
> legacy systems.

PS. I know the word 'legacy'. It is the nice word
invented in the US, I think. Usually it means:

"That crappy software that we have to use 'as-is'
because developers who wrote it are all fired long time
ago and we have no source code for this system"
( real story. far not unique, BTW. ).

I don't understand how will XML change this part of
IT, because using XML will not increase the number
of smart managers. Those Y2K dances, 'COBOL
legacy' and stuff like that has *nothing* to do with
the technology.

I don't understand why so many people are claming that
'the use of XML will be smarter and 'better' ' than the
use of preceding technologies'. Merchants will become
altruists, morons will not fire key developers e t.c.

Dvorak talks about the end of simplicity comparing to *HTML*
not to COBOL. This is not only technical, but social e t.c
stuff.

Could you please  be consistent discussing Dvorak's
article, instead of writing  scary tales about the legacy
systems ?

PPS. How will you convert from your-FO to XSL FO
with your silver-bullet XSLT, BTW ?