   Re: XML Schemas: Is it possible require an element contain*non-whitespac

  • From: Francis Norton <francis@redrice.com>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 17:52:28 +0100

Dylan Walsh wrote:

> I'm looking into the use of schemas to validate form data submitted by
> website users. Basically, when a user submits a form, such a system would
> build an XML document from the data and then validate it using XML Schemas.
>
> A common requirement with online forms is that the user has filled in
> *something* into certain fields, i.e. they are mandatory. Is it possible,
> with XML Schemas, to specify that an element *must* contain some text, and
> that text must have atleast some non-whitespace characters in it?

I haven't experimented with XML Schema regular expressions but the spec
certainly suggests that it should do what you want - see
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmlschema-2-20000922/#xr-pattern).

You will probably find that one of the character groups
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmlschema-2-20000922/#cces) such as "/S"
or "/w" does what you need.

Francis.
--