   RE: interoperability (was Re: Obfuscating XML with namespaces)

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:53:06 -0500

Title: RE: interoperability (was Re: Obfuscating XML with namespaces)
Precisely.  At the other side of the universe is the back of my head.
The problem of semantics is find a means to see the other side
of another universe and know that it is someone else's bald spot
before I sue the barber or buy a toupee.

XML gives us:

o  Lexical unification.  One ring (parser) to rule them all.  A systems
bridge, really.

o  Validation on requirement - a standard means to establish
in advance of a transaction that the names, structure, and a
limited amount of range and datatype information is required
for that transaction to complete and then to exercise that
means optionally or by policy.

The begattings give us most of the rest of what gets debated
here.

Experience informs me that the universes of information are
too diverse and too tightly coupled to the dynamics of
feedback between environment and entity to enable a
semantic web to operate seamlessly.   It can work for
some ecologies.  We don't yet know what the limits
of growth of these are to sustain coherent
operations.   Intuition tells me that there will be a lot
of knashing when the lower level business objects are used
as services to high-level business process/control models
such as can be created with XLang.   We have to know
how well this scales and how well it reinforces.  Part of
this will be simple design skill and the limits of the
design resources until we have provably good macro
structures to work with and instrumented tests.

What we have with XML is sufficient
agreement about a basic bridging technology to
enable us to test the hypotheses about this against
real world information and processes.

Caveat emptor.    No certainty.  The Semantic Web
remains a theory until we put it to the test.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com [mailto:Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com]
Now that XML has made syntax so much easier, a lot of people are very eager to tackle the semantics problem. But let's not blame XML for the fact that semantics are hard!

Jonathan